Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Leavings

I
One star fell.
The firmament loosed and
frangible.  
Such an omen,
such a void in
familiar constellations,
such a fissure
scored the sky; blazed and faded.
Then such darkness
against the pinprick in my mind  
where your effulgence remains. 
Then such darkness
and clinging to the phone
that brought the news,  as if
 you’d land on our telephone wires
and materialize in my hand.
II
Tracing figures in the sand,
pictures for my daughter.
Tracing words on a page,
 trying the train I may leave.
Do our leavings race forward like train rails or
follow like tracks in the desert?
III
I’d like to leave at least
a wake in water; filled to
overflowing.  Like our
dog comes running, ecstatic
from his bowl, drops
flinging off his jowls,
baptizing us in his affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment